Biking Benefits for Runners
- Eases muscle imbalance.
- Strengthens power muscles: quads, gluteus maximus, and calves.
- Increases flexibility.
- Stretches hamstrings – causes hamstrings to lengthen.
- Help prevents Runners Knee injury (chondromalacia).
Cycling improves your running performance
- Runner’s endurance and strength is improved with bicycle cross training.
- Can add another high-intensity workout to your training week.
- Can improve cardio conditioning without risking impact overuse from excessive running.
- Cycling places less stress on your body. You can cycle many hours with minimal body stress.
- Cycling is a weight-bearing activity without the impact stress of running.
- By using alternative muscle systems, you are resting running muscles and allowing them to recover while you are cycling.
- Enhances fast leg turnover – typical cycling cadence is the same rate as running speed-work cadence.
- Enhances motivation by adding variety – helps maintain runner’s enthusiasm and goal attainments.
Runners can cycle while recovering from most running injuries
- Minimizes the loss of cardio conditioning when recovering from a running injury.
- Most running injuries are not aggravated by cycling.
- Cycling can preserve a good fitness base.
Escalates your love of running
- Cycling makes running more enjoyable by making you more fit.
Can comfortably bike on hot, windless days (when running conditions are miserable)
- Moving through the air on a bicycle creates a “wind-chill” effect, cooling your body.
Biking is fun
- Same outside-with-nature benefit as running.
- Same social aspects as running.
- Runners can learn to “Zen” out on a bike (with practice)!
For an excellent article from Runner’s World: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--11759-2-2-2,00.html
For an excellent podcast - Tri Talk Episode 67: http://odeo.com/episodes/24387696-Tri-Talk-Triathlon-Podcast-Episode-67